Windows Media Player 10 problems?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
newguy

Windows Media Player 10 problems?

Postby newguy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:04 pm

I just installed an extra 512mb of ram which did a world of good (been running 256!)...

Anyway, I also installed a cheap SB Audigy card that also came w/WMP v10....All of a sudden, I lost my D/U connection twice and the computer reboots itself....

I then get a MS message saying the system recovered from a serious error...twice...

I've had no troubles until installing this software recently...Are there issues w/WMP 10?

I didn't actually mean to install it (WMP 9 has been fine) but wasn't paying attention and forgot to uncheck it....

Jeremy
newguy

Postby newguy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:37 pm

Well, it's doing it w/Realplayer as well....As long as I don't try to play any music, it's fine...But if I'm running WMP or RP, I can't connect on AOL...Turn off the music players and everything's fine...

I'm going to uninstall the SBlaster software and see if that solves it. If so, I may try reinstalling the apps one at a time...
Francious70

Postby Francious70 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:34 pm

Your sound card may be having a hardware conflict with your modem. Check in the Device Manager to see.
newguy

Postby newguy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:42 pm

What am I looking for exactly?? To see if it's trying to share a device location/port or something??

BTW, I guess SB removed my factory controlloer because I can't play music after uninstalling the SB software and all I can find in Device Drivers/Sound are the codecs...no controller!

And I thought this would be a simple upgrade....:cwm15:
newguy

Postby newguy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Well, I reinstalled the program and when checking the Device manager, I found this:

Modem is on Slot 3, Bus 2
Sound Card is on Slot 2, Bus 2....not sure if it matters and no messages showing a conflict....same problem occurs w/SoundBlaster's player as well so there is a conflict somewhere....
newguy

Postby newguy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:41 am

Well it seems to be a driver issue....Sent the error report and the response was, 'Unknown solution' but that it is a driver issue....

I uninstalled all of the Creative/SB application/driver software and rebooted, letting XP find the new hardware again w/o using the supplied software. However, it still crashed.

I can't find any applicable driver updates for SB Audigy SE so if I can't fix this I'm going to junk it...

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”