What? No E3 Talk?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon May 29, 2006 1:48 pm

Justin W wrote:They should... but will they?

I dunno... last time around with the PS2, Sony spread out their launch... this time around they aren't... they can't to maintain that 06 launch in Japan and North America...

I think there's a good chance that there will be 360-sized shortages... or close to it... of course there will be other next gen options on the market this year unlike last...
What? No PS3? Get a Wii or a 360... surely there will be plenty of 360's around... they should sell real well this Xmas to all of those people that wanted PS3's that couldn't get them or those that see the relative economy of the 360 compared to the PS3 or better yet the economy of going to the Wii is even greater...

Not to mention the games available for the 360 by PS3 launch should look considerably better than the PS3's... right now Sony's praying for 15 games at launch... many of those being EA titles that will be available on Wii or 360...

That's why, bugs aside, Microsoft was smart for bringing it out when they did...

I will say, I have not had one problem with my box as of yet. Not one freeze, no screen ghosting, although on Ghost Recon once the helicopter I was in took off and flew THROUGH buildings in the city... but that was more funny than anything.

I don't know though, I equate it to General Motors at this point.. They were on junk bond status for so long, and people actually wished for them to die, but now their stocks are listed as BUY.. I don't think Sony will ever go away. They may be a little down for now, but they have so many assets out there it is only a matter of time before they are back. Sometimes it takes them to have their back up against the wall to see what the company can really do!

I thought Sony was going for more launch titles than 15.. But even the 360's launch titles were not too strong. Only now do I think it would be worth having it, with Battlefield 2, G.R.A.W., and many other strong games.

I will be honest, I will never buy a Wii, and thought the Gamecube was a waste of space.. Other than Mario Kart of course. Now the Wii may turn out to be a pretty good little system, but I can't get around the games that are focused more towards the children. But that's just my opinion.
Ezekiel81923

Postby Ezekiel81923 » Mon May 29, 2006 2:28 pm

theyre no all child-focused...

nintendo has all the maddens and all the ea sports games, including need for speeds. Which also means it has other ea games like the james bonds', resident evils, etc. including every mario game under the sun. AND, the wii will have internet hookups and u can download every past nintendo game EVER and play it on the wii (from the original NES all the way up to the gamecube). In a sense its backwards compatibility, but u have to download.

Something i heard the other day...the first 360s to come out had a different harddrive (i think it was harddrive) than the newer ones. Old ones had the apache harddrives and the new ones have a different one. The apaches cant played burnt games but the new ones can.

I dont understand the whole harddrive thing...it doesnt matter that the wii doesnt have one to me, id still have to buy the game. Ill be in line for the wii
Pioneer -- A/D/S -- AA Poly Mids -- Helix Dark Blue --
-- Orion HCCA -- Oz Matrix Elites -- Stinger -- Knukonceptz

Next In Line: a/d/s P4100
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon May 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Well the hard drive allows for download of games, like on XBoxLiveArcade. You can also put movies on it, music, and many other things. It is alot easier than pulling sticks out all the time. When the 360 gets hacked(I believe the DVD Firmware already has been..) people will be playing pirated games all over it.

They also needed the hard drive to keep all the backwards compatibility with the old xbox games I believe. But that could be totally off base.
Justin W
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula, California

Postby Justin W » Mon May 29, 2006 5:32 pm

Yeah, you need the Hard Drive to do backwards compatible games...
Justin W

Listen with your ears... not someone else's.
Justin W
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula, California

Postby Justin W » Mon May 29, 2006 5:35 pm

Ezekiel81923 wrote:I dont understand the whole harddrive thing...it doesnt matter that the wii doesnt have one to me, id still have to buy the game. Ill be in line for the wii

The Wii must have some sort of hard drive, flash drive or something if they plan to allow download of old Nintendo games... you've gotta store the data somewhere.
Justin W

Justin W

Postby Justin W » Mon May 29, 2006 5:38 pm

Ezekiel81923 wrote:but nintendo is making the effort to make sure their new games still only cost $45 of $50. When you think about it, the wii could take a huge part of the market that doesnt wanna drop $1000 on a console and games.

Yeah, that will be nice... hopefully that keeps the cost of all games down... that being said, developers and publishers are having a hard time with profitability - PS3 and 360 games may not come down to Wii game pricing levels... since the cost of developing for those platforms is huge... maybe XNA Architecture will eventually level off those development costs for the PC and Xbox...

Regardless, a game that's less expensive to develop for is definitely good.
Justin W

jlaine

Postby jlaine » Mon May 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Justin W wrote:It just didn't sell like a Nintendo console should... figure 60 million NES's, 49 million Super Nintendos, 32 million Nintendo 64's and only 21 million Gamecubes were sold...
It has got to the point that 3rd party support of the GC is near non-existant... I think it got to the point that the market just wasn't large enough to develop to the GC audience.

Sort of a never-ending circle...

Have to move consoles to make the designers figure you are worth writing a game for... Have to have games to move the consoles...

Which is why I think $ony will come out ahead on this deal if the release goes smoothly... They have massive game support from major labels, and a huge fanatical following. Try as M$ may, it's damn damn hard to pull that rug out from under the hardcore gamers... There were two types that were after the 360 - those that were going to get it reguardless, and those that will wait to see what happens when the PS3 debuts - and if the PS3 comes out of the gate hard with great console games, it's going to be one hell of a run for anyone to catch up.

That's excluding the fact it gives you out of the box a blu-ray player - which I'm all for.
Yo.
Justin W

Postby Justin W » Mon May 29, 2006 9:07 pm

jlaine wrote:Sort of a never-ending circle...

Have to move consoles to make the designers figure you are worth writing a game for... Have to have games to move the consoles...

Which is why I think $ony will come out ahead on this deal if the release goes smoothly... They have massive game support from major labels, and a huge fanatical following. Try as M$ may, it's damn damn hard to pull that rug out from under the hardcore gamers... There were two types that were after the 360 - those that were going to get it reguardless, and those that will wait to see what happens when the PS3 debuts - and if the PS3 comes out of the gate hard with great console games, it's going to be one hell of a run for anyone to catch up.

That's excluding the fact it gives you out of the box a blu-ray player - which I'm all for.

Yeah, no doubt about it... for now... Sony's still in the driver seat...
MS has done some things to make a difference this time around... getting a good head start and getting the attention of some big name franchises such as GTA and FF (although that seems to be an iffy investment by Square Enix to this point - at least in terms of FF games).

It'll be interesting this time around... to say the least.
Justin W

jlaine

Postby jlaine » Mon May 29, 2006 9:38 pm

Justin W wrote:Yeah, no doubt about it... for now... Sony's still in the driver seat...
MS has done some things to make a difference this time around... getting a good head start and getting the attention of some big name franchises such as GTA and FF (although that seems to be an iffy investment by Square Enix to this point - at least in terms of FF games).

It'll be interesting this time around... to say the least.

And while I speak only for myself, I'm sure there are thousands like me...

Wherever Square goes, I ended up going.

There were other console-specific things that made me get the other console (IE: Metroid), but I'm a big RPG nut and typically go where the main FF's go.
Yo.
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon May 29, 2006 11:59 pm

Well it seems MSoft is getting some help on the gaming side.. The next Grand Theft Auto game is going to be released on 360 first... You know maybe it is just both consoles at the same time.. whatever, MSoft having the 360 out first helped speed the process along, and I think for the time being it will hold true. Halo3 helps the Xbox alot too, but some people just hate that game.

I think the real winner in all of this mess is Tom Clancy personally.. That guy's games are great and he will have 3 games out by the end of the year and I am sure he will be raking it in.

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”