What? No E3 Talk?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Justin W
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula, California

What? No E3 Talk?

Postby Justin W » Sat May 27, 2006 1:04 am

Anyone see anything that got them excited?

The cheap Wii... <$250... motion sensitive controller... so, so technolgy... but their audience seems to not require the tech... at least Nintendo hopes so. Wondering if they're narrowing their audience too much?

The "expensive" PS3... $700?!?
Surprise... motion sensitive controller and BLEEDING edge technology... and a built-in BluRay player...
Honestly, though... not so bad of a price if you want a HiDef DVD player...

Nothing all that big from MS... other than some really solid looking games... 360 kinda hitting a stride as Wii and the PS3 jump out of the gates... should be an interesting generation of gaming for the consoles...
Justin W

Listen with your ears... not someone else's.
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Sat May 27, 2006 2:11 am

I saw an interesting comparison somewhere...

I can't remember which console it was, but one of the original consoles from back in the day, if you factor in inflation, would cost like $650 relative to today.. So while the PS3 is alot of money, consider the 360 with the HD-DVD add-on will be 500-600 total too...

Nintendo is definately narrowing their audience. The components in the Wii aren't even as fast as the PS2 or the original BOX on paper... But I don't think they could compete straight up, so they are trying to innovate and keep prices low. But I have read rumors that their controller has problems when used around halogen bulbs, no joke here either.

PS3 controller will not have any vibration, but battery is supposed to last a long time and they are bluetooth, which is cool. and the PS3 has HDMI, and 1080p, which will not be fully realized for games, but for movies :) Sony's online service needs to compete with XBoxLive, which will be a tough thing to accomplish. Many things are riding on this Console for Sony, with decreased market share and scaling back daily...
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sat May 27, 2006 9:36 am

I read that Sony's future is make or break with the PS3. Seems odd that an electronics giant like them would have a make or break with one product.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sat May 27, 2006 1:12 pm

I am absolutely ****ED OFF that the new silent hill game (origins) is only on the crappy PSP. That thing has sooo many problems. A friend has one and is selling it after a few months citing a screen that smudges too easily, dead pixels, disk door opening by itself etc...
I think that a series as awesome as silent hill (i worked to port the original onto the PC, btw but a rival team beat us to the punch) needs to be left where it belongs, on PC's and living-room consoles. There's nothing scary about a game on a handheld with a tiny screen (I know it's big for a handheld but you get what I mean) except the thought of trying to play a scary game on a handheld. Hopefully the PSP emulator will be finished up soon and I can borrow my buddy's PSP and play it on my PC.

Chris

also, $5-$700 is outrageous for a console when you have a PC with two 2.4ghz processors and 4 gb of memory and two video cards. Hell for that plus a little bit extra (the price of a few games), I would rather go quad-sli (two dual core video cards)
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sat May 27, 2006 1:18 pm

flak_monkey wrote:
I would rather go quad-sli (two dual core video cards)

I didn't know you could SLI two dual core vid cards....that is gangsta.
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Sat May 27, 2006 1:37 pm

I haven't had one problem with my PSP as of this point, had it basically since launch. I got one of those screen protectors for like 3 bucks at best buy, because I did notice my screen was scratching almost as easy as an Ipod screen lol

You can have many different combos with vid cards nowadays, but I like to sit in my recliner and play some games personally.. plus online gaming and the ability to play other people in the same room as you.. There are advantages and disadvantages for both. I think people are a little shocked at first by the PS3 price, but I think many out there will pay it, including myself.
crow

Postby crow » Sat May 27, 2006 2:22 pm

The problem with the PS3 is they are asking people to pay for features that most people won't use. It seems to me like they are making a play to promote their new blu-ray format in the industry by bolstering the numbers with PS3 buyers. The PS3 sounds like an amazing machine, but I will be tempted to upgrade my PC before sinking that kind of money into a console.
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Sat May 27, 2006 5:11 pm

I know many many people who bought PS2 because it played DVDs AND games...

Considering the CHEAP HD-DVD player out right now from Toshiba is $400, tack on $200 and you have a Blu-Ray player with HDMI 60GB hard drive plus it can play games.

That's how I look at it.
Justin W
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula, California

Postby Justin W » Sun May 28, 2006 1:45 am

But if you already have an X360... that has arguably just as great games as the PS3 (better games likely for a while actually)... and then you can get the HD-DVD add-on for say $200... that may keep people from dropping $600 on a PS3... especially when the damn thing's probably won't be readily available until next Spring at the earliest.

Figure a Xbox 360 price drop as well when the PS3 comes out... or they may also bundle the 360 with the HD-DVD player and larger Hard Drive for a little less than a PS3... and of course they won't have the supply issues that Sony will have.

And then the whole $250 Wii... but then a less expensive, underwhelming (from a tech standpoint) machine didn't really work out all that well last time with the GC.

So yeah... Sony has a lot riding on this... I wouldn't say that the whole company is... maybe... but certainly the console superiority that the PS & PS2 enjoyed sure is at stake.
Justin W

Listen with your ears... not someone else's.
Ezekiel81923

Postby Ezekiel81923 » Sun May 28, 2006 10:50 am

there was nothing wrong with the gamecube...and the wii wont have problems either...

they may not have as much tech behind them as far as dvd players and harddrives go but that never stopped nintendos games from being a lot of fun and i think the gamecube graphics were better than ps2's and xbox's...or a lot cleaner anyways. The wii wont be any worse.

Read somewhere the wii will debut this fall fro 250-300 bucks and the ps3 was supposed to come out around the same time at ~500
Pioneer -- A/D/S -- AA Poly Mids -- Helix Dark Blue --
-- Orion HCCA -- Oz Matrix Elites -- Stinger -- Knukonceptz

Next In Line: a/d/s P4100

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”