optimizing my computer (mostly ati graphics card questions)

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
wagz

optimizing my computer (mostly ati graphics card questions)

Postby wagz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:24 pm

i built myself a new computer befor college but i never really tweaked anything to make games run better. i love graphics and try my best to run almost every game full out (Doom3, Farcry, Unreal 2004, Half Life 2, FEAR...etc), i only tune down when theres game lag or noticable frame lag, both i hate with a passion. so i was wondering if theres adjustments i can do to my computer to 1) make my computer run smoother during games, and 2) adjust my graphics card settings to make it run better for games

my computer (gaming aspects)
P4 3.4HT
P4P800-VM mobo
2gb ddr3200 cas 2-3-2-5
74gb sata raptor hard drive
ati x800xt (agp) + artic cooling fan attachment
max screen res 1280x1024 75hz

i currently use ClockGen to overclock the cpu and its stable for heavy gaming up to about 3.6ghz but when i try and overclock the pci/agp section it feezes immeditally so ill have to find a differnt way to do that.

i use that ati catalyst control center to change my graphics card settings but alot of the things in there i have no idea if they should be adjusted or selected so i dont touch them.
such thinks like,

anti-aliasing 2,4, or 6x
anisotropic filtering 2,4,8, or 16x
catalyst AI standerd or advanced
for direct 3d enable geometry instancing?
for open gl allow triple buffering? how about force 24bit z buffer depth?
and what is ATI overdrive? this one is new with the latest driver update

what do all of these things do and how do i adjust them to best fit my computer?

and also i noticed that most games end up asking for anti aliasing anyway so does it even matter if i change them in my control center or not?

thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this
-Jon
home sub
Dayton Audio Titanic MkIII
250watt parts express amp
3cuft box @ 26hz
Jakezor

Postby Jakezor » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:41 pm

AA smooths the jagged edges out,
Ansiotropic filtering improves texture filtering at distances in game

not sure what Atalyst AI is
not sure about d3d geometry instancing
Triple buffering is good, enable that
24bit z buffer, I haven't paid attention to recent games to be sure, but that used to be a image quality improvement.
I think ATI Overdrive is the automatic overclocking / downclocking based on 3d or 2d.

If the game sets AA then you can leave the control panel at "application preference". The other settings are just to force it to a certain level.

With your setup, I'd figure you can probably run 1280x1024, constant 2 or 4x AA and 8 or 16X AF.
wagz

Postby wagz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:32 pm

sweet, thanks jakezor
home sub
Dayton Audio Titanic MkIII
250watt parts express amp
3cuft box @ 26hz
Phuzun

Postby Phuzun » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:54 pm

triple buffering will smooth up the game play, turn it on if you arent running a game that is needing alot of memory, because it takes more, obviously, since it puts 3 frames in buffer instead of default of 2.

www.radeon.ru check out there ati tray tools.....its featured in alot of game optimized drivers like the omega ones. Has automatic overclocking which tests for problems while overclocking to the highest stable points it can find. Very useful if you have time and dont know how to do it.

As for anti aliasing and anistropic, its more per game than anything. Some games can handle those max settings, others cant use any, either because it overrides ingame, or because its just to graphic intense to begin with.

Ati tray tools will help alot too by setting up profiles for each game, so it will set it when you run and put back when your done.

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm

There are some tweaks for windows XP too, should be helpful. My pc is running on like the basics to keep it speedy. No pretty graphics on the desktop for me, looks like win 95.
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:07 pm

For overclocking the GPU I use the rage3d CCC plugin... Not sure about ATI overdrive, but with the rage3d you can set your gpu/memory clocks based on the game you activate... Which is a bonus as some games won't allow you as much OC as others, so you can stretch everything to the limit.

Also you may want to try omega drivers in place of the ATI standard ones - there is a strong following for them - I run them myself and don't have any problems to date.

http://www.rage3d.com
http://www.omegadrivers.net
Yo.
Tatnall

Postby Tatnall » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 pm

I use the omega drivers too, way better than ATI's overdrive bloatware.
Don't make large signal conclusions with small signal data.

"Science is meaningless because it gives no answer to our question, the only question important to us, 'what shall we do and how shall we live?' " - Tolstoy

"Recognizing who we aren't is only the first step toward knowing who we are." - Os Guinness
Phuzun

Postby Phuzun » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am

I dont run that CCC stuff, its utter garbage. I have a seriously optimized pc...tray tools is all ya need. Tried CCC when they started it, but hate the .NET framework, and rather not have it.

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”